Chicken, Sweet Potato & Apple Skillet
I’m not really sure what the difference is between a skillet and a stir fry, but I seem to like them both. This recipe has become my new favorite and I’ve actually made it a couple of times now. I’m not a huge fan of the prep work, but I am a fan of the taste! Essentially you’re cooking some chicken, then some bacon, and then frying everything in that bacon and grease. What’s not to love? Plus, I have a soft spot for sweets, so sweet potatoes and apples are right up my alley.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 3 slices 30% less fat center cut bacon (we used Oscar Mayer), chopped
- 1½ c Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 med sweet potato (8 oz), peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 3/4″ cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp salt
1. SEASON chicken lightly with salt. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in large nonstick frying pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate.
2. RETURN pan to heat and add remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Stir in bacon and cook until starting to brown, about 2 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in apples, garlic, thyme, and cinnamon. Cook 3 minutes. Pour in 1/2 cup of the broth, bring to a boil, and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add reserved chicken and remaining 1/2 cup broth. Season with the salt and black pepper as needed. Cook until hot, about 2 minutes.
Posted on May 6, 2013, in Food Pintrinspiration. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment